How to Insure Your Holiday Home Abroad

Holiday Home Insurance: Discover the Possibilities of Protection for Peace of Mind

If you're looking to insure your holiday home abroad, it is important that you understand how they can be insured. This post will discuss the information about insuring your holiday home as well as different options for insuring a vacation property.

Selling an Unoccupied Buy to Let Property

Insure Your Holiday Home Abroad

Think about this for a moment:

Insuring holiday homes abroad can be tricky. They often have special needs that are difficult to cover. For example, many require extra coverage for water damage from flooding or burst pipes. And if they’re close to a body of water like the ocean or a river, then there’s always potential for storm surge damage as well.

Do UK Insurers Cover Holiday Homes in Other Countries?

Many holiday home insurance carriers will cover second homes outside of the UK, whether you have a seaside villa in Greece or Spain, or a place close to your relatives abroad. Most, though, will only conduct business with international countries, so double-check that yours is on the list.

Fun fact:

For holiday homes1 in other countries, the rules may be slightly different. Some insurers, for example, will not cover earthquake damage in Greece or Italy. Others may insure a static caravan if it is located in the United Kingdom, but not if it is located in another country.

What Countries Does Holiday Home Insurance Cover?

Standard home insurance will not cover a vacation home in another nation and dealing with a local insurer in that country will be difficult due to language hurdles, time differences, and high call charges. So, if your vacation property is in another country, you’ll need special insurance to cover it.

And the good news?

European countries such as the Republic of Ireland, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Greece, the Republic of Cyprus, and Bulgaria are generally covered by holiday home insurance policies.

What Does Holiday Home Insurance Cover?

Holiday home insurance2 is made up of structures and contents insurance, just like a standard homeowner’s policy. However, there are a few distinctions and additions. Let’s look at some of the things it can do:

Let me show you:

  • Buildings insurance: It covers the cost of repairing or fully rebuilding your property in the event of a covered disaster, such as a flood or fire. Outbuildings, solar panels, a hot tub or swimming pool, and other features of your vacation home can all be covered.
  • Contents insurance: It protects all your belongings and assets in your vacation home in the event they are damaged or stolen due to an insured danger like earthquake and flood damage.
  • Extended periods of unoccupancy: You’ll be able to keep the property unoccupied for extended periods of time while still being covered. The duration of unoccupancy coverage is determined by the policy. Some are quite accommodating and have no restrictions but keep an eye out for minimum occupancy standards.
  • Public liability coverage: If someone gets wounded or dies on your property, you are covered.
  • Emergency travel insurance: Coverage for travel to your home in the event of a disaster, such as a fire or a burst pipe producing floods.
  • Home emergency coverage: It gives you access to a 24-hour emergency hotline if you need it, and ensures that a domestic issue, such as a busted pipe, is handled immediately.

Holiday home insurance covers a wide range of properties, including chalets, villas, flats, houses, listed buildings, and even overseas static caravans.

Renting Out Your Holiday Home

There are other extra types of cover available when obtaining insurance for a holiday home, especially if you rent it out, in addition to buildings and contents coverage. Among the options are:

Let’s have a closer look:

  • Accidental damage: If you have a lot of guests, this could be handy because they aren’t always as careful as owners.
  • Loss of income: It protects your revenues if you rent out your vacation home and have to cancel any bookings due to property damage.
  • Alternative lodging: If your vacation home is destroyed and you must relocate your visitors, you will be reimbursed for your expenses.
  • Public liability insurance: This covers any legal fees if someone else gets injured or dies on your property
  • Employers’ liability insurance: This might be useful if you employ a cleaner

Rather than purchasing a separate holiday let insurance policy, some firms will allow you to add the above alternatives as extra coverage to your existing holiday house insurance. The more options you choose, the more your insurance cost will be. It’s always a good idea to shop around and compare providers and insurance prices to ensure you get the best bargain.

Factors to Consider in a Holiday Home Cover

The following are important aspects to consider when purchasing holiday home insurance:

  • High-value items are rarely covered by conventional vacation home plans. This is because vacation homes are thought to have lower-value contents than primary residences, and they are not thought to have high-value contents when they are vacant.
  • You do not need to add goods on your holiday home insurance if they are already covered by your travel insurance or your primary house policy for use outside the home.
  • When telling your insurer about the things you want to be covered, be as detailed as possible. Solar panels, hot tubs, swimming pools, golf carts, golf clubs, and push cycles can all be included, but they must be individually added to your policy.
  • Should you need to visit your vacation home in an emergency, the costs of travel and lodging can be covered by your vacation home insurance policy.
  • If you’re a leaseholder, your lease may state that you’re responsible for insuring the fixtures and fittings, such as your kitchen cabinets, bath, and toilet, among other things. This is something that holiday home insurance can cover.

Common Questions

Do I Need Holiday Home Insurance?

What Overseas Holiday Home Insurance Cover Can You Get?

What if I Can't Visit My Holiday Home During the COVID-19 Pandemic?

Do I Need Additional Cover for My Holiday Home When Lending It to Friends & Family?

In Conclusion

In a nutshell,

Insuring your home abroad is a good idea for many reasons. For one, it can protect you from the costs of damage or theft that might happen while your house is empty during the winter or summer holidays.

It also protects you from any liability issues should someone be injured on your property and seek compensation in court. It is always advisable to insure your property, especially if you are going to be away from it for an extended period

You may also like​

Editorial Note: This content has been independently collected by the EveryInvestor advisor team and is offered on a non-advised basis. EveryInvestor may earn a commission on sales made from partner links on this page, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. Learn more about our editorial guidelines.
Taylor Holt - 300x300

Written by
Taylor Holt
Estate Planning Expert

Taylor Is Our Resident Estate Planning Expert. He Knows That Everything Revolving Around Wills or Funeral Planning Can Be a Sensitive Subject That People Don’t Like to Discuss. But He Also Knows How Important It Is to Know All There Is to Know About It. Taylor Makes It His Mission to Spread Awareness About Estate Planning, and We Believe Everyinvestor Is the Best Platform to Do That.

Monique - 300x300

Written by
Monique Pittman
Pensions Expert

Monique Is Our Resident Pensions Expert. Many People Postpone Planning Out Their Pension, Thinking That Is Something They’ll Have to Worry Much Later in Life. Monique Knows How Important It Is to Start Planning Your Pension Early, and She Wants You to Know It Too!

Holiday Home Insurance

Written by
Lisa Schilling
Insurance Expert

Lisa Is Our Resident Insurance Expert. She Knows How Important It Is to Be Ready for Any Scenario, Especially When a Family Member Is Involved. Nobody Likes Being Found Unprepared in a Tough Situation! Lisa Can Find the Best Insurance to Cover Your Every Need, Present and Future.

Doyle Edwards - 300x300

Written by
Doyle Edwards
Mortgages Expert

Doyle Is Our Resident Mortgages Expert. He Comes From a Long Line of Financial Gurus, and It Truly Shows. Despite His Young Age, There Is No Question He Cannot Answer When It Comes to Mortgages, and His Ability to See Outside of the Box to Find the Best Mortgage Deals Is Truly Impressive.

jason stubbs 300x300 1.jpg

Written by
Jason Stubbs
Equity Release Expert

Jason Stubbs Is a Specialist in the Equity Release Sector. He Enjoys Helping Older People Who Are Struggling Financially Get Out From Under Financial Pressure.

rachel w.jpg

Rachel Wait
Personal Finance Journalist

Rachel is an experienced finance journalist and editor with a particular interest in personal finance and consumer affairs. She has vast experience writing about money issues, property, insurance, and consumer affairs, and you’ll find her articles regularly featured in top media and newspaper publications.

Reviewed by
Francis Hui
Senior Risk Manager

Having held various high-level roles across the industry, Francis is truly an expert in aiding UK citizens in their financial decisions and risk analysis. His unique insight and statistical knowledge make him the perfect person to help you take your financial future to the next level.
Mark Patterson

Written by
Mark Patterson
Mortgage Expert

Mark Patterson is a well-known expert in mortgages. He has been working as an expert for over 15 years, and he specializes in the UK mortgage market.
kath icon.png

Katherine Read
Consumer Affairs Writer

She writes on the topics of equity release, home reversion, and mortgages.

Nicola Date

Nicola Date
Writer & Journalist

Nicola is a financial writer for EveryInvestor and is passionate about the opportunities that equity release can open up for homeowners. Her extensive business experience and deep understanding of the industry means that she’s always up-to-date with the latest developments.